Best Chicken-Fried Lobster Recipe [Detailed Guide With Picture]
Since lobster is widely known to cooking experts all over the world, there are a lot of ways that you can make yourself a fine meal with it.
But right now, we are going to show you our favorite recipe: Chicken-Fried Lobster. Yet what is chicken-fried lobster? It is a deep-fried lobster using fried chicken batter.
Boring dish? No, there’s a secret that makes this dish unique. Keep reading.
- 1 How To Make Delicious Chicken-Fried Lobster At Home
- 1.1 Preparation
- 1.2 Step By Step Guidance
- 1.2.1 Step 1: Numb the lobster
- 1.2.2 Step 2: Set up before killing
- 1.2.3 Step 3: Kill the lobster
- 1.2.4 Step 4: Poach the lobster
- 1.2.5 Step 5: Separate the tail from the head
- 1.2.6 Step 6: Make the batter
- 1.2.7 Step 7: Boil the oil
- 1.2.8 Step 8: Get the lobster ready for frying
- 1.2.9 Step 9: Fry The Lobster
- 1.2.10 Step 10: Display the chicken-fried lobster
- 2 How To Make Sauce Going with Chicken-Fried Lobster
- 3 In Short
How To Make Delicious Chicken-Fried Lobster At Home
What do you need to for chicken-fried lobster recipe:
- 1 whole lobster ( about 1½ pound)
- 8 cups of oil
- 1 egg ( beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon of hot sauce ( in here, we use Tabasco)
- 1 cup rice flour (optional)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Step By Step Guidance
We only use the lobster’s tail for this recipe, so you can call it chicken-fried lobster or chicken-fried lobster tail – both are fine.
For the smoked version recipe, it is all the same except for the smoking part after frying your lobster.
Now, let’s get started.
Step 1: Numb the lobster
You first numb your lobster by putting it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Find a tray or anything that has a flat surface and place the lobster on it. Then, place the whole tray in your fridge.
Freezing the lobster will help dull the lobster so that it can die less painfully. It also eases off the lobster’s movements to make it easy to work with later.
Step 2: Set up before killing
Take the lobster out of the freezer. Then, you grab a cutting board and place some paper towel onto it.
Next, put your lobster on the board. Remember to place your lobster on a firm cutting board with its back facing up.
The paper towel placed underneath the lobster will prevent causing mess if any liquids are coming out from the lobster.
Note: Although its movements are minimal after numbing, there is still possible that the lobster will use its claws to hurt you. Therefore, it would be best if you wrapped around its claws with rubber bands while handling it.
Step 3: Kill the lobster
Get yourself a large chef’s knife – about 8 to 12 inches long. After that, you need to identify the cross line on the lobster’s head. That cross line usually is one or two inches behind the eyes.
Hold your lobster firmly with one hand. Next, place the tip of your knife on the center of the cross line. The blade will face the front of the lobster’s head like the picture below.
Then, with a swift and strong cut, slice through the head to kill the lobster.
Step 4: Poach the lobster
Depending on the size and how many lobsters you’re going to cook, select a suitable pan that is wide and deep enough for the lobsters to fit inside.
In this recipe, we use a large cooking pot with the size of about 12 inches.
Estimate the water level that will surely cover the lobster and then pour water into the pot. Place the pot on the stove and turn high heat to boil the water.
Then grab some salt and dissolve it in the water to reduce the unique smell of seafood.
If you do have a lid, it would be quite useful to help the water boils much faster.
After reaching the boiling point, gently put the lobster inside and let it sit for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Separate the tail from the head
Grab the lobster’s head with one hand and the tail with the other. Then, twist it to pull out the tail.
Next, you take a large knife and cut the tail in half. After that, take out the meat and place it aside while making the dry batter.
Step 6: Make the batter
With dry breading, all you have to do is grab a bowl and put all its ingredients. Then, you mix them fully combined.
Step 7: Boil the oil
Now, add 8 cups of oil into a pot and put it on the stove. Heat the oil until it reaches 370°F. While waiting, you can prepare the lobster with the step below.
Step 8: Get the lobster ready for frying
Take each piece and coat it with dry batter first. Then, you dip it into the wet breading. After that, layer it one more time with dry breading.
Step 9: Fry The Lobster
When the oil is okay, you put the lobster tail in and fry it until it’s golden brown. It would take you about 3 to 4 minutes to cook the lobster.
Step 10: Display the chicken-fried lobster
If you want to have it with sauce, you can continue to read the instructions below. Or else, you can now get it on the plate and enjoy your work.
How To Make Sauce Going with Chicken-Fried Lobster
The lemon butter caper cream sauce is the secret of making this dish unique as it will help enhance the flavor of deep-fried lobster.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 3 lemons (peeled and quartered)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced capers
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ pound unsalted butter at room temperature ( cut in cube)
- 1 cup white wine
Sauce Making Instruction
- Take a non-stick pan and heat it over high heat for half a minute to get it completely hot. After that, add in the white wine, garlic, shallots, and lemons.
- Cook them for 3 minutes. While cooking, remember to break up and mash the lemons using a wire whisk.
- The next step is to add the salt, pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Continue stirring the mixture until it is lightly condensed.
- Put in heavy cream and cook for another 1 minute. After turning the heat to low heat, add in butter and whisk.
- Take the pan off the heat, but keep whisking until the butter is incorporated.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl. Then, add in the capers and parsley.
- You can use it as a dipping sauce or put it on top of the lobster.
After reading, we hope you will have a great time while trying to make yummy chicken-fried lobster with our recipe. The lemon butter caper cream sauce is optional based on your taste, yet we recommend you try it with the lobster.
And how to store fried chicken lobster? We recommend that you shouldn’t store it overnight as it won’t keep crispy. Still, if you insist on storing them, you look for the method in the link above.
Good luck with your work. Thank you for reading.