How To Clean A Microwave After A Fire? Methods To Clean Burnt Microwave!

No one can deny the fact microwaves play an essential role in our daily lives. We use microwaves to reheat shrimp, unfrozen a pizza, recook a lunch meal, everything to make our meals warmer and tastier.

However, despite how familiar we are with microwaves, constant threats pose if we don’t utilize microwaves the right way—one of the most frequent incidents with microwaves in burning. 

So, how to clean a microwave after a fire? That’s the topic we will discuss in this article. If you also want to solve this issue, come and join us. 

What Are The Safety Precautions Of Using A Microwave?

There are some rules of safety precautions that every microwave-user should bear in mind to prevent unexpected fire:

  • Read the operating procedures and safety precautions clearly before operating a new microwave. 
  • Notice what kind of food/material can be put in the microwave without the risk of internal burning.
  • Before defrosting food in a microwave, remove its plastic package. Refrain from putting plastic into the microwave as this material tends to bend at high temperatures. Not to mention its fire, the form of plastic changed due to heat can cause the food to be poisonous and inedible. 

Do not leave the microwave operating without caution. The heating process can increase heat to the level causing fire, so if you begin to witness some continuous pop inside the microwave, you know it’s time to stop the heating process.

How To Clean a Microwave After a Fire?

How To Clean A Microwave After A Fire

In case you have had all microwave precautions straightforward, but the microwave still catches fire, don’t worry. There are methods on how to clean a burnt microwave, and we will present it within the steps below:

Step 1. Prepare the tools to clean

Whenever you prepare a dish, we need the kitchen boutique to support its flavor and appearance. The same thing applies when we mess up with a microwave too, we need tools to help on how to clean a scorched microwave.

To clean the microwave’s soots, you will need a couple of dry towels, dish soap/detergent, and water. It would help if you soaked the dry towels in a mixture of water and soap/detergent. Let the towel absorb in, and don’t dry them yet.

Step 2. Unplug the microwave

After a microwave fire has finished, you need to unplug the microwave to prevent potential electric risks immediately. Open the microwave to let all the smoke come out and detect where the soot is.

Step 3. Clean the microwave

There are three ways to clean a burnt microwave, depending on how serious the situation is:

Method 1: Using dryer sheets

dryer sheet

If the burn is minimal, all you have to do is place the soaked sheets you prepared in step 1 into the microwave on the soot parts.

Leave them for a couple of hours, and you will see the soot gradually come out. That’s when you can use those sheets to wipe out the remnant easily.

Method 2: Using spongebobs


If the dryer sheets cannot take out the remnant, use a sponge and soak it with vinegar. Put some baking soda on top and microwave the sponge for 30 seconds. 

Then, use it to wipe out the remaining soot. Continue adding more vinegar and baking soda onto the sponge and repeat the process until the soot is completely removed.

During this process, make sure that you don’t choose an abrasive sponge that can cause the inside to be damaged.

Method 3: Using a bowl of vinegar

white vinegar

After having done this underlying clean, you’d better do steam clean to remove any extra dirty follows. Use white vinegar to fill a microwave-safe bowl and run your microwave on high warmth for 10 minutes. 

Permit it to cool with the vinegar steam inside for 15 minutes. A crash within your microwave with a clammy material. This steam will slice through any oily sediment staying in your apparatus.

How To Remove The Burnt Smell in a Microwave After a Fire?

So, is it safe to use a burnt microwave? Well, the answer is yes. However, even after you’ve eliminated the apparent dirty buildup, your microwave can, in any case, have a lasting smoked smell.

This odor can return each time you utilize your microwave and can be exceptionally terrible and bothering. In this part, we will present two ways on how to get burnt smell out of microwave vents:

Natural method

To clean a microwave filled with smoke naturally, you should initially fill a bowl with water and include skins of organic citrus products such as lemons and oranges.

Put the lemons’ skin or oranges in a water bowl and microwave it for five minutes in high heat or 10 minutes in medium heat.

You must witness this process all the time to prevent the water from splashing out the bowl and the peels from burning. Once the time is up, you can leave the bowl in for half a day to make sure that the smell has vanished.

Chemical method

On the off chance that you’ve attempted the natural strategy, but the smoke still exists, we suggest aerating your microwave utilizing baking soda. Just fill a bowl brimming with baking soda and leave it in the microwave for three days.

This action helps ingest the consumed smell as opposed to just covering it overnight. The baking soda method is guaranteed to bring positive results for how to get yellow burn stains out of microwave. However, it can take days for the smoke smell to be removed completely.

The final words

And that’s how to clean a microwave after a fire and how to remove burnt smell from microwave. A spark microwave is not a rare situation for using microwaves, so you need to learn how to deal with the fire’s outcome to keep the microwave usable later and ensure your dishes’ quality.

 Good luck with cleaning the mess, and we will catch up with you soon!

Kevin Richard

Hi all! I’m Kevin. I spend plenty of time in the kitchen every day because I love cooking healthy and delicious foods for my family and friends. Cooking gives me a chance to be creative and fun. It’s also one of the most meaningful ways to express my love and take care of my little family.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: