How To Make Powdered Milk Taste Like Real Milk
As a budget-saving deal, the powder milk can please many customers due to its low cost. Moreover, it can be stored for approximately one year, making it even greater as a prep item.
Powdered milk appears mainly in cooking, but many want it to be more multipurpose. They want to make it drinkable. Still, is it possible? How to get rid of its bland and nasty taste?
Keep reading to know how to make powdered milk taste like real milk.
How To Make Powdered Milk Taste Like Real Milk – Easy Peasy Methods For Homemakers
Can you drink powdered milk? Of course, yes! But the bland taste is the main reason why most people turn their back on it.
So how to make powdered milk taste better? Here are some methods that we have tried and succeeded.
1. Using Coffee Creamer
Creamer is a powder or liquid product commonly used as an alternative to cream or half-and-half to add to black tea or coffee. Most coffee creamers are made of sugar, sugar substitute, thickeners, and oil, so they are all dairy-free.
Coffee creamer has a longer shelf life than other milk products, especially in dry powder form. The creamers come in a wide range of flavors or seasonal options and can be found in any store worldwide.
Using coffee creamer can help make dry milk reconstituted. It also gives the milk a flavorful taste like regular milk. Here is how you do it:
Note: The instruction below is for a cup of water. If you want to make a larger amount like a gallon of milk, multiply the ratio by 10.
- Step 1: Pour out a cup of hot water. Next, you grab your creamer and powdered milk to begin the process.
- Step 2: Pick up a tablespoon to measure the ingredients and start to add all of them into the hot water. Here, we mix the creamer and the dry milk in the ratio of 1:8.
- Step 3: After adding, you stir them until they are fully combined. Then, you put it in the fridge to cold the mixture. This action would help make the milk tastier.
2. Add In Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is a popular flavor used in making desserts and food as it can intensify the sweetness and elevate the taste of the dish. Mixing powdered milk with vanilla extract is a good way to make powdered milk taste better.
Follow the step below, and you are good to go:
- Step 1: Take out a cup or a glass of water and your milk powder.
- Step 2: Add to the water about one and one-third cups of powdered milk and mix them well. Remember to stir until they are all dissolved together.
- Step 3: Put into the mixture two to three drops of the vanilla extract to improve the milk’s flavor.
3. Add Some Season To The Dry Milk
- Mix in sugar.
Sugar is a great seasoning to make the dry milk flavor more like real milk. It can enhance the sweetness and lessen the bland taste of the original powdered milk.
All you have to do is:
- Step 1: Create a mixture of powdered milk in a pot and water and put it on the stove. The ratio for this technique will be 1 cup of water and 1 ⅓ cup of powder.
- Step 2: Heat the milk until it starts to have some tiny bubbles on the surface. Then, you add to it one tablespoon of sugar and mix them up. The heat will help the sugar to dissolve into the milk.
- Step 3: You can adjust the sweetness based on your favorite by adding more or less sugar. As they are fully combined, you take the pot off the heat and let it cool down.
After it reaches room temperature, you pour the mixture into a bottle and place it in your fridge – the colder the mixture, the better the taste.
You can also use sugar substitutes like honey and syrup to add some mildness to the milk.
- Add a small amount of salt.
It may give you some surprise, yet a pinch of salt can improve the flavor of your milk.
What you need to do is follow the given steps below:
- Step 1: Make a blend of dry milk and water. Then, you add in some sugar depending on your taste to create reconstituted powdered milk. The proportion is 1 cup of water and 1 ⅓ cup of powder.
- Step 2: Put in a small amount of salt or more to give a deeper sweetness to the milk. However, be careful with the amount of salt you add as you can turn delicious milk into salty buttermilk.
4. Add In Chocolate
How to make milk taste better? How about adding chocolate? Do you want to turn a bland milk powder into yummy hot chocolate milk?
All you have to do is make a blend of milk powder and heat it. Then, you add some chocolate powder or chopped up chocolate to the mixture and stir all the ingredients until they combine.
5. Blend It With A Neutral Vegetable Oil
Step 1: Pick up an oil with little or no taste. It can be vegetable oil, sunflower, or safflower oil.
Step 2: Make a mixture of milk powder and then add in oil. The amount of oil will depend on which flavor you wish to have. After adding, whisk or blend it into the milk until you see no oil droplets.
- With 1% milk, you use 10mL (2 teaspoons) oil.
- With 2% milk, you use 20mL (4 teaspoons) oil.
- For whole milk, you put in 30mL (2 teaspoons) oil.
Note: You can use butter powder to get a more fresh milk flavor. Butter powder is not as thick as oil, so you will need to use more than the amount we mentioned above.
6. Mix In Egg Powder
Step 1: reconstitute the milk with the ratio we listed above. If you use nonfat dry milk powder, mix 1⅓ cup of powder into 1 liter of water. You can use a blender to mix or whisk the mixture by hand.
Step 2: Egg is known as an emulsifier helping combine ingredients that usually do not mix. Using egg powder will allow you to mix fat content restoring richness to the nonfat dry milk. One of the pluses of egg powder is that it is edible without cooking.
The list below will show you the amount to make reconstituted milk:
- For 1% milk (low fat), put in ¼ teaspoon of egg powder.
- For 2% milk (reduced fat), mix in ½ teaspoon of egg powder.
- For whole milk, put in 1 teaspoon of egg powder.
7. Mix Dry Milk with UHT Milk
Step 1: Once again, you need to reconstitute the powdered milk by mixing it with cold water.
Note: Use cold water to mix in instant dry milk with the ratio like above.
It would be best for regular dry milk if you could dissolve it with hot water before putting it in cold water. Plus, the ratio has to be ¾ cup of the powder to 2 cups of water.
Step 2: Put in UHT milk with an equal amount to powdered milk. That will give you a result of 2% milk or skim milk.
Step 3: Chill the milk in the fridge after stirring. If your milk is lumpy, let it stay overnight and stir again the day after
After reading this post, we hope you know how to make powdered milk taste like real milk at ease and successfully make one for you. There are plenty of methods for you to try out, so don’t hesitate anymore.
Good luck with your work. Thank you for reading.