In the daily kitchen work, burning pots and pans is inevitable. It takes us a lot of time to complete the process of cleaning calphalon pans. Not only that, these plaques are very dangerous to human health, causing many dangerous diseases.
It’s time you checked out the following tips on how to restore calphalon pots and pans and bring them back to their mint condition.
Why Did Your Calphalon Pots and Pans Ruin
Basically, all types of calphalon cookware are resistant to burns, which is convenient to clean. However,t not all nonstick products are made from the same material. Therefore, surface deterioration of different materials will also differ.
The non-stick coating is used on good quality pots and cast iron pans with clear brands and origins. Its chemical nature is a heat-resistant polymer that is quite safe for the human body.
The current popular use is the Teflon anti-stick agent of Dupont Corporation – USA. Teflon is smooth but easily scratched and worn over time. This is the first step towards forming anti-stick agents in the future.
Later, the technology developed more and more, so Ceramic Anti-Stick has been used in most cooking utensils.
The advantage of ceramic is that it does not contain PTFE or PFOA (more environmentally friendly due to less energy used in production and safe for consumer health).
A smooth ceramic coating, high heat resistance is absolutely safe for health. The ceramic calphalon pan dissipates heat evenly and does not absorb chemicals.
Basically, anti-stick pans of different materials often fail due to the following reasons:
1. Peeling, pitting, or blistering due to high temperature, heat shock
Many people often leave the pan out on the stove for too long (about 2 minutes or more), pour grease or fish sauce, or salt directly onto the hot cast iron pan.
These acts will ruin the nonstick coating because Teflon decomposes at high temperatures above 300 – 400 degrees C. Therefore, it is best to keep the medium heat below 250 degrees; this is considered a safe level for health.
2. Being scratched due to improper use.
Many homemakers often have a habit of using sharp cookware such as metal rods or metal spatula on a pan. This, combined with the high cook temperature, easily results in calphalon non stick coating coming off the pots and pans’ surface.
In addition, improperly frying, baking such as melt Nutella on a pan, can easily damage the anti-stick layer.
3. Improper cleaning and storage:
One of the biggest reasons that ruin your pans is using a metal washing pad or clean while the pan is still hot.
It is best not to place objects or other pots or pans on the non-stick surface to protect the pan.
How To Restore Calphalon Pots and Pans Properly
1. Use Vinegar To Clean Burnt On Stainless Steel Pans
Vinegar is capable of cleaning scorched pots and pans. It is composed mainly of water and fermented acetic acid and usually has a pH of 2.4, which is very acidic. This is the reason why white vinegar becomes a powerful aid in cleansing.
Acids have strong bleaching properties, help dissolve any remaining stains or hard deposits. Also, because of its strong acidity, you can use vinegar to clean everything, but we recommend to you vinegar to clean burnt stainless steel, it will bring the best result.
The method is quite simple; just follow my instructions below:
- Put about 30ml of white vinegar in a pot soaked in cold water. Pay attention to pour the water about halfway through the pot.
- Put the pot on the stove for about half an hour; the burned burns will be peeled.
- When the waiting is over, you should let the pot cool and rinse with dishwashing liquid.
- If you’re not in a rush to get rid of the burn, you can soak the pot with vinegar overnight without heating. The next morning, rinse the pot as usual.
- If the stains are too stubborn, you should add a few drops of lemon juice or add a few lemon slices to the pot. It would be best to boil it with a little water for about 15 minutes. Be careful with small lighters so that the solution can soak into the burned area. At this point, all you need to do is wash calphalon pots and pans with dishwashing liquid again.
2. Use Baking Soda To Clean Calphalon Cookware
You may not know it, but baking soda possesses the “power” to dislodge any stains on pots and pans.
This is because it is alkaline, and when dissolved in water, the chemical reaction of alkalis and acids from stains helps to remove them completely. It will be great to use baking soda for burned Calphalon cookware.
To restore hard anodized cookware using baking soda, let go with step-by-step instructions below:
- Put a large amount of baking soda, about 50 grams in the pot.
- Soak with half a liter of water for about 3-8 hours.
- When you start to see charred flakes, repeat the same steps you would use to rinse with dish soap.
- Wait for the pot to cool down and the plaque softens.
- Rinse it under cold running water.
- Finally, you wash the pot clean with the sponge, and the pan looks like new.
Note: If you want faster, you can use a mixture of 50 grams of baking soda mixed with 30 ml of dishwashing liquid in a saucepan and boil the mixture over low heat for about 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat and pour the mixture out of the pot.
3. Use Ammonia And Lemon To Clean Pots And Pans With Dirt or Oil
Ammonia has a powerful effect on work against stains caused by food, dirt, and vegetable oils.
It has the property of being extremely soluble in water. And when dissolved in water, a small part of ammonia molecules combine with H + ions of water to form ammonium cation and release anion. Water will act as an acid at this time, which effectively removes even the most stubborn plaque.
However, using ammonia is quite dangerous because they have a very unpleasant odor, and when exposed to water, it can produce a toxic gas.
Therefore, you need to prepare a measuring cup, dish-washing liquid detergent and alcohol (70% isopropyl) to prevent stained lines on your saucepan. Here is my guides to clean the your pans:
- Pour about 800 ml of warm water and a few slices of lemon in a stainless steel saucepan. Lemons will increase the acidity of the solution and make the cleaning process faster.
- Measure a cup of isopropyl alcohol 70% and 50ml of ammonia accurately.
- Add a teaspoon of liquid dish soap. It would be best to stir it well with a stick or a long spoon to make sure they work properly.
- Last but not least, leave it on overnight, and the next morning you’ll see the plaque peel off. Now, your stainless steel pan is good as new.
4. Use Calphalon Cleaner With Hard Case
Choosing to use specialized cleaner will save you time but depends on whether you can buy them easily or not. Just easy steps to use it as below:
- Clean the surface of the pan ( remove possible substances)
- Spray the calphalon cleaner onto the burned.
- Wait a 10 minutes for the cleaner can work well.
- Rubbing it hard, and the stains will disappear immediately.
However, when using chemical products, we should be very careful and remember to read directions on the product’s label. Always take care to ensure that the place we are working in is clear or that doors and windows are open.
Another thing to keep in mind is not to combine that cleaner with ammonia or chlorine bleach as this produces chloramine – a very toxic gas. Exposure to them may cause difficulty breathing and pneumonia, leading to disturbs the stomach.
More severe, gas poisoning can result in immediate death. Therefore, to ensure your safety, please wear a mask, gloves, and operate as quickly as possible. If the product accidentally gets on the skin or eyes, quickly rinse with plenty of water.
Is Calphalon Safe When Scratched?
Yes, you can use Calphalon Pans safe even when it was scratched. The surface of the Calphalon pan is coated by a PTFE layer which prevents your food from sticking to the bottom.
According to the American Cancer Society, PTFE is safe for your health, it never reacts with any other chemicals in normal conditions because it is inert.
Anyway, PTFE is still a chemical, it will make the cooks feel uncomfortable when working with them and give us an uneasy feeling with sticking food on the bottom. So please gently scrub the bottom while cleaning Calpahalon pots and pans.
4 Tips To Take Care for Your Calphalon Cookware
To cook delicious dishes is not easy, keeping cookware in good condition will help you a lot. Calphalon pots and pans are no exception.
They needed to be properly cared for to extend their lifetime after recovering. Let’s see our below tips to make sure your pan is always ready for its task.
1. Follow Manufacturer’s instructions
CalphaloCalphalon is located in Perrysburg, Ohio – a big guy in the cookware field, especially pan. Simply discover to take care your pan follow their instructions.
2. Cook the food with medium heat
In the ideal condition, after recovered pan should only use for a stir-fry dish. Because after recovering the pan will be more heat-efficient compared the new one.
So if you use them for the deep-fried dish at a high temperature, it will be damaged again quickly.
3. Don’t put cold water to clean the Calphalon pan when it is still hot.
When the pan has just finished cooking something, it is still hot. If you put the cold water immediately into the pan, the restored pan will be easily distorted.
Because the cold water will react with the hot surface and lose the connection between the top layer and the remain ( you also see the bubbles). So please kindly use warm water to clean the pan after using it.
4. Don’t use the rough bristles to clean your pan
Rough things such as a metal sponge or wooden brushes will damage the recovered pot quickly. Because after restoring, the connection between the outmost layer and below is very weak.
If you use the rough and sharp thing to clean the pan, it will ruin that connection and make the pan damaged. My suggestion is to use a cloth or soft sponge to clean it.
Should You Get a New Calphalon Pots and Pans
The anti-stick substance is not harmful to health. However, this adhesive is difficult to stick to the pan’s metal surfaces, so for them to stick together, the manufacturer must use a synthetic glue.
When impacted on a large heat source for a long time, this glue layer is the main cause of harm to the human body.
Suppose the non-stick layer on the surface of the pan is scratched or blistering, peeling off. In that case, this adhesive layer will be exposed and decomposed and create harmful substances, affecting the user’s health.
If you use high quality nonstick pans, you can still use them with only slight scratches. However, more care should be taken during use, as well as cleaning and preservation to ensure that the stainless steel pan is not scratched or peeled further.
In the case that the pan has been much damaged in the nonstick layer, it is advisable to replace the new pan immediately, especially if the frying pan is stuck or burned, so that you can continue to make delicious dishes like deep-fry shrimp.
Do not regret it even though the pan’s appearance is new, as using a nonstick pan with scratches will harm the health of you and your family.
There you go, all things you need to know on how to restore calphalon pots and pans. These are the simplest yet most effective to show you how to clean burnt calphalon pans. Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to share this with your friends and family.