There is no doubt that tortilla chips and guacamoles make the ultimate Mexican food combo. What do you do with the leftover chips when you can’t finish them in one go, though? How to reheat tortilla chips so that they’re crunchy again?
Today’s article includes a guide to help you reheat tortilla chips back to their crunchiness. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How To Reheat Tortilla Chips
So how to warm tortilla chips? You can find the answer from the methods below. In case you’re wondering, they also work on stale tortilla chips!
Using A Microwave
The good ole way to reheat food is to use a microwave. Tortilla chips are no exception. Some people suggest that you shouldn’t reheat tortilla chips in a microwave because the moisture that made your chips soggy won’t have anywhere to escape, explaining why the chips remain soft.
No worries, there is a solution to this problem! So, how to reheat chips in the microwave?
- Place your chips separately in a microwave-safe container with parchment paper. The parchment paper will soak a good amount of moisture to help your chips get back their crunchiness.
- Microwave stale chips for 15-20 seconds, then take the chips out and allow the excess moisture to evaporate.
- Put them back in the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds. If you feel like they’re still not crunchy enough, repeat the process one more time, and they should be good to go.
Using a microwave is quite a lengthy process compared with the other methods, and your chips can still not be as crispy as you want them to be.
Using An Conventional Oven
The best way to revive stale tortilla chips is to use an oven due to the even heat treatment it proposes. So, how to make tortilla chips in the oven?
First, reheat your oven at 300℉ while having your chips laid flat on a pan or baking tray.
Next, put the pan in and allow the tortilla chips in oven to cook for 5-6 minutes.
Most people love using an oven to preheat tortilla chips because the chips tend to get a little toasty on the edges, adding even more crispness to them. If you like flavored tortilla chips, hit them up with some spices like chili powder or garlic powder before heating them up.
Voilà, the perfect chips for salsa served in just a few minutes without you even trying!
Using A Toaster Oven
If you have just a few chips left but still want them crunchy, use a toaster oven. The process is similar to when you use an oven.
- Preheat your toaster oven to 375℉ whilst spreading the chips on a single layer on a baking tray.
- Allow the chips to reheat for 5 minutes or to your liking.
And that’s how to make store bought tortilla chips taste better! Take them out and enjoy!
Using An Air Fryer
Another good way to bring back that good crunch when eating tortilla chips is to use an air fryer.
Foremost, preheat your fryer at 300℉, just like you do with the mentioned cooking appliances.
Then, let the desired amount of chips to reheat at 370℉ until they’re crispy, which should be around 5 minutes.
Some people suggest spraying a light coat of olive oil for extra crispness. We can confirm olive oil tortilla chips have their own charm and flavor!
Using A Stovetop Pan/Wok
Using a stove pan or wok is not a bad idea to reheat tortilla chips. If you don’t have an oven or microwave, this method will work wonderfully.
- Heat up some oil in the pan.
- Add the desired amount of chips to the pan and let them cook for a minute on each side. Make sure not to add too many chips at a time unless you want a bunch of chips overlapping on each other.
- Once the chips have become noticeably crunchier, use a tong to remove them from the pan.
- Place the cooked chips on top of a few paper towels to soak out the excess oil. Next, what to put on tortilla chips? You can sprinkle some Hungarian paprika or garlic powder on top for extra flavor. There you have it, gourmet tortilla chips!
Can You Reheat Stale Tortilla Chips?
Absolutely! You can reheat stale tortilla chips using any of the methods mentioned. However, chips that are too stale contain a lot of moisture in them and tend to smell.
When your chips have got to this point, it’d be better off erring on the caution side and throwing them away. Food poisoning is no joke! Nonetheless, if the chips still seem good, fry one and give it a taste. If it tastes good, go ahead and fry the whole batch.
What Can I Do With Leftover Tortilla Chips?
Leftover or fresh tortilla chips can be eaten with a variety of dishes. What to dip tortilla chips in? Besides guacamole, other popular options are salsa, hummus, chili con queso dip, etc. The possibilities are endless! You can also eat them as dippers with soups or turn them into salad toppings.
How Long Can Tortilla Chips Stay Crunchy?
An opened bag of store-bought chips can stay crunchy for about 1-2 weeks, depending on how you store it. The more chips are exposed to air, the faster it becomes soggy.
After retrieving what you need, we suggest you keep the chips sealed tightly in an airtight container to keep the moisture away. You can also just leave them in the bag, roll down from the top to release the remaining air, and use a chip clip to close the bag securely.
If your chips become stale before you get a chance to finish the whole bag of nachos, you know how to reheat tortilla chips now. It’s up to you whether to heat them in a baking oven or fry them in an air fryer; the result is pretty much the same – hot, crispy, and delicious chips in their entirety.