16 Best Side Dishes For Chicken That You Should Try
Chicken is the ideal protein for any occasion and any culture since it’s an amazing blank canvas for you to build your dish on.You can cook it with carb and sauce for a hearty and fulfilling dinner, you can fry it in the batter for guilty pleasures, or you can use the full bone and meat combo for a delicious soup.
Anything you make will turn out great anyway!
Thinking of what to make from this meat is extremely easy for that reason. But pairing chicken dishes with other items might be a little trickier. Let us give you some suggestions on what side dishes for chicken you should make tonight!
Delicious Side Dishes For Chicken
1. Classic Potato Salad
The first suggestion on our list is considered amongst easy side dishes for chicken.
Here’s what you need for a hit side dish:
- Yukon gold potatoes (two per attendee)
- White vinegar to taste
- Eggs (boiled, one per two potatoes)
- A few sprigs of celery
- A handful of green onions
- One full tablespoon of Miracle Whip
- One teaspoon of yellow mustard
- A handful of
- Pinches of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Once you have gathered all those ingredients, it’s time to get cooking. The process will take no more than 15 to 30 minutes, so potato salad is a great choice for last-minute feasts too!
- Boil the potatoes with their skin on. This allows the potatoes to cook without losing or taking in more moisture and keep their structure for assembling.
- Leave the potatoes on your stove at a simmer for 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are done, plate them and mix with the rest of the ingredient list as sauce and seasoning.
The potato salad has a rather soft texture, so it goes extremely well with fried or crispy roasted drumsticks. It is also rather sour (or at least tangy), so it goes well with hearty sweetness to balance out and refresh your palette.
2. Garlic Parm Sautéed Zucchini
This side piece is a continuation of the quick veggie dish trend, as it takes at best half an hour to make a huge portion of Garlic Parm Sauteed Zucchini for sure! However, the savor that this dish gives is completely different from potato salad’s lightness on the tongue. Enhance the rich aroma of your meal with these vegetable side dishes for chicken!
Here are the ingredients you need:
- One tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- Three sliced up zucchinis
- Half a teaspoon of dried oregano
- A pinch of Kosher salt to taste
- A pinch of Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- A quarter cup of grated Parmesan
Once you have gathered all the ingredients, simply add oil, garlic, zucchini, oregano and seasonings in that order into a medium-heated skillet.
3. Dinner Rolls
Another candidate on this list of chicken side dish ideas is dinner rolls. This is the type of side dish you see at every other mid to high-end restaurant. They are soft and slightly sweet – which is one of the perfect match sides for baked chicken, rotisserie, or heavy gravy ones!
Here’s what you need for a couple of dinner rolls on your table:
- Two cups of all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- An envelope of yeast
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Half a cup of milk
- A quarter cup of water
- Two tablespoons of butter
All you have to do from there is add all the ingredients into the dough as if you’re making bread, and bake at 375℉ for 20 minutes!
4. Grilled Sweet Potato
Grilled sweet potatoes are as easy as they come, which eventually are listed as one of those quick sides for chicken. The vegetable is already good for eating raw. Grilling it (with a glaze of honey on top) will give it a devilishly good smokey feel and crispy exterior – perfect for all guests around the table!
5. Bacon Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
Here’s what you do to get a side dish full of satisfying crunchiness:
- Set your oven to heat beforehand at 400℉.
- Shove oiled Brussel sprouts in and roast for half an hour. Be sure to flip them halfway through.
- Add the fried bacon into the mix as well as reduced balsamic vinegar sauce.
The recipe is as simple as they come, and you will love its combination with your heavy proteins! As there are numerous chicken side dish ideas out there, maybe you can try to make your own recipe and get an unexpectedly good meal!
6. Honey-Glazed Carrot
Similar to the grilled sweet potato, honey-glazed carrots add a crunch and add into the chicken dish’s sweetness. All you have to do is to shove those honey-glazed carrots into the oven until they are ready for serving!
If you are busy people as well, add this recipe to your chicken accompaniments list! This recipe is quick yet still provides enough nutrients!
Here comes another candidate for simple side dishes for chicken – fattoush.
To prepare this famous Middle Eastern salad, use these food ingredients:
- Chunks from two tomatoes
- A quarter of a cucumber
- Half a red onion
- One romaine lettuce
- A handful of mint leaves
- A handful of parsley leaves
- Two pitas
- One teaspoon of sumac
- Half a clove of garlic
- Two tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Half a lemon’s juice
As all salads do, you simply have to toss all the ingredients together. The pitas can be toasted right before eating to keep them hot and fresh.
8. Triple Cheese And Macaroni
A handful of macaroni and cheese, dough & salt will make up the answer to the question, “What to pair with chicken?”. We recommend you eat it with light dishes like boiled breasts, so the tastes of the two savory dishes don’t crash!
9. Oven-Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
Suppose you are finding the middle ground between potato salad and honey-glazed carrot. Why don’t you try oven-roasted rosemary potatoes from Western cuisine as a side dish for chicken? The oven will only be in use for 15 minutes, as oil glazed-potatoes with rosemary is not a combination that’s too tough to cook.
10. Boulangere Potatoes
If roasted veggies are your go-to side dishes, you will surely fall in love with boulangere potatoes.
In Particular, boulangere potatoes are one of the perfect side dishes for garlic chicken! The meat will feel lighter yet richer with this combo!
Prepare these ingredients:
- One and a half kilograms of Desirée potatoes
- Two onions
- A few sprigs of fresh sage
- 400 milliliters of organic vegetable stock
- 50 grams of Parmesan cheese
- One knob of unsalted butter (about one teaspoon)
Be patient with the onions and potatoes since you will need them extra thin to cook evenly among one another. Line them alternatively on a baking dish, and give a general splash of stock on top before roasting for one hour. After that, your dish is done!
11. Sautéed Mushrooms
Looking for roast chicken side dishes? – Sauteed Mushrooms!
Sauteed mushrooms can be cooked in a plethora of different ways, as the dish is present in nearly every culture. Typically, people would use a common sauce like oyster sauce with some herbs like green onions on top, but if your homeland’s recipe begs to differ, feel free to stray from the original!
The mushrooms’ delightful texture should balance even the softest meat!
Related article: 9 Excellent Mushroom Substitutes That You Can’t Ignored
12. Collard Greens Gratin
Gather these ingredients and start cooking:
- 4 ounces of country ham or prosciutto
- One cup of breadcrumbs
- Four tablespoons of olive oil
- One teaspoon of fresh thyme
- One cup of grated parmesan cheese
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Two bunches of collard greens
- One large onion
- Two garlic cloves
- Two tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Two tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Two cups of whole milk
- A quarter teaspoon of grated nutmeg
The recipe is more complicated than most of the recipes on this list, as it requires you to prepare in separate stations.
Next, you bake the ham, cook the collard greens and toast the breadcrumbs. Then you add the milk, flour, butter and cheese, bake some more and then transfer the mixture to the stovetop. After that, you will get a full answer to the question, “What go with baked chicken for great dinners?”
Good luck because as good the dish is, if done right, you may end up with a burnt mess if you mess up!
Tabbouleh is amongst tasty sides for chicken legs at the dinner table!
All you have to do is sprinkle salt on tomato and cucumber, chop up your parsley and season the whole bunch with lemon juice and more salt. You will end up with a salad that knocks everybody’s socks off, especially in summer!
14. Cold Lemon Noodles
The lemon noodles are unpopular yet amazing chicken accompaniments. You are going to need:
- 12 ounces of soba noodles
- Half a teaspoon of sesame oil
- Two cups of fresh microgreens
- Two tablespoons of lemon olive oil
- One tablespoon of sesame oil
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
- Three tablespoons of rice vinegar
- One tablespoon of soy sauce or Tamari
- One tablespoon of maple syrup
- Two tablespoons ginger
For this dish, you cook the noodles thoroughly and toss them in with the sauce, with an additional drizzle of lemon-ginger sauce for taste. Enjoy!
15. Slow-Cooker Toasted Herb Rice
Have these ingredients ready on your cooking counter:
- Three tablespoons of butter
- One and three-quarter cups of long-grained rice
- Three and a half cups of chicken broth
- A quarter teaspoon of salt
- Six medium green onions
- One teaspoon of basil leaves
- One-third cup of pine nuts
Be sure to have some cooking spray and emulsifying butter on the slow-cooker before you proceed. Cook your rice as usual, and add everything except pine nuts into the rice-water mixture. The pine nuts shall join the rice last of all.
16. Corn Pudding
The last recipe on this list calls for:
- Half a cup of butter
- Half a cup of sugar
- Two large eggs
- One cup of sour cream
- One package of cornbread/muffin mix
- Half a cup of 2% milk
- One can of whole-kernel corn
- One can of cream-style corn
From there, you only have to add everything into a bowl and beat them until they are soft and foldable. The oven should be preheated to 325°F, then you bake the mixture for right under an hour.
What Vegetables Go Well With Chicken?
Any vegetable can go perfectly well with this food! As the meat is light and lightly sweet, any component that helps boost that quality is very welcomed. However, aromatic vegetables still work better because they add what the meat lack.
What Are Good Side Dish Recipes For Chicken?
Scroll up and read the sixteen recipes we have listed for you. As for us, lemon noodles and honey-glazed carrots have a special place in our hearts! We love this dish because it is quick to prepare yet still offers enough nutrients and great savor.
Those are all the side dishes for chicken you should try once in your life! Be sure to try out all the recipes and nail down what you like so that you can tell us what you love the most out of our list. Thank you so much for tuning in!